Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I'm linking up with the sweet Kelly for crockpotalooza!

I made this the other night for dinner and it was so good and easy. Even my almost one year old gobbled it down. Anything that she loves is a keeper in my book! This recipe is adapted from Crockpot 365.

Ingredients:

4 chicken breast halves, pounded thin (I used three large Costco sized pieces and sliced them lengthwise)
Enough slices of ham for each piece of chicken
Sliced swiss cheese

For the sauce (I doubled because we like a lot of sauce):

--1 T butter
--3 T flour (I used brown rice flour)
--1/2 cup whole milk
--1/2 cup chicken broth
--1/4 t salt
--1/4 t black pepper

Spray crockpot with cooking spray or olive oil.


Pound chicken breasts flat (or slice lengthwise like I did).

Put a slice of the ham and a slice of the swiss cheese on each piece of chicken breast and roll it up. Put it into the crockpot, seam side down. Continue with the other pieces.

To make the sauce, create a roux with the butter and flour and whisk in the milk, broth and spices. Then pour on top of the chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-5. My crockpot gets pretty hot and I put it in at noon on high and it was completely cooked by 5. It was super moist and came apart really easy so it was perfect for a small child to eat.

Enjoy!

1 comment: